Foods to Avoid Feeding to Your Pet
- Alcoholic beverages
- Chocolate (all forms of chocolate)
- Coffee (all forms of coffee)
- Fatty foods
- Macadamia nuts
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Onions, onion powder
- Raisins and grapes
- Yeast dough
Warm Weather Hazards
- Animal toxins - toads, insects, spiders, snakes and scorpions
- Blue-green algae in ponds
- Citronella candles
- Cocoa mulch
- Compost piles
- Flea products
- Outdoor plants and plant bulbs
- Swimming pool treatment supplies
When using herbicides or insecticides in or around you home:
- Always use pesticides in accordance with label instructions.
- Keep pets away from treated areas for the label recommended
amount of time.
- Store unused products in areas that will always be inaccessible
- Be aware that fly baits containing methomyl and slug and snail
baits containing metaldehyde are particularly dangerous.
- Keep all prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs out of the
reach of your pets, preferably in closed cabinets.
- Remind guests to store their medications safely as well.
- Pain killers, cold medicines, anti-cancer drugs, antidepressants,
vitamins, and diet pills are common examples of human medication
that could be potentially lethal even in small dosages.
- One regular-strength ibuprofen tablet (200mg) can cause stomach
ulcers in a 10-pound dog.
Cold Weather Hazards
- Antifreeze: If you think your pet has consumed antifreeze, contact
your veterinarian right away.
- Liquid potpourris: Exposure to some types of liquid potpourris
can result in severe oral, dermal and ocular damage.
- Ice melting products can be irritating to skin and mouth.
- Rat and mouse bait - place these products in areas that are
inaccessible to your companion animals.
Christmas Tree Hazards
- Christmas tree water may contain fertilizers, which, if ingested,
can upset the stomach. Stagnant tree water can be breeding grounds
for bacteria, which can also lead to vomiting, nausea, and diarrhea,
- Electrical cords - Avoid animal exposure to electrical cords.
If they are chewed they could electrocute your pet. Cover up or
hide electrical cords and never let your pet chew on them.
- Ribbons or tinsel can become lodged in the intestines and cause
intestinal obstruction. This is a very common situation for kittens!
- Batteries contain corrosives, and if ingested they can cause
ulceration to the mouth, tongue, and the rest of the gastrointestinal
- Glass ornaments can cause internal laceration when ingested.